Monday, January 18, 2010

Imported from Wordpress Blog


“There’s a trick to the Graceful Exit. It begins with the vision to recognize when a job, a life stage, a relationship is over – and to let go. It means leaving what’s over without denying its validity or its past importance in our lives.
“It involves a sense of future, a belief that every exit line is an entry, that we are moving on rather than out.’’
“The trick of retiring well may be the trick of living well. It’s hard to recognize that life isn’t a holding action, but a process. It’s hard to learn that we don’t leave the best parts of ourselves behind, back in the dugout or the office. We own what we learned back there. The experiences and the growth are grafted onto our lives. And when we exit, we can take ourselves along – quite gracefully.’’
By Ellen Goodman. Published in the Boston Globe this morning. I wanted to remember her words as I also contemplate retirement.
Well, here I am in my office, listening to good music and musing on all that I have and all with which I have been blessed. A wonderful husband, a son and daughter-in-law and two granddaughters living five minutes away, and a daughter living an hour away–life is so good. We will all be together tomorrow at our home–and how did I get to be the Grandmother that lives over the river and through the woods? How did that ever happen. I find myself thinking more about my own mortality these days. Perhaps that comes with impending retirement. This year is so good at school–wonderful students and an ability to avoid the administration make for rewarding days. Yesterday was the first round of parent-teacher conferences and it went well–with some blips!
And what activity binds it all together–the knitting of course. It is always with me and always in my thoughts. To think that I began to knit when I was 12 and I will soon be 61 is pretty amazing. And the knitting still challenges and delights as the yarn slips through my fingers. I’m working on a vest for Ken at the moment and I realized yet again how much I enjoy the physical process of knitting.
Right after school it’s off to shopping–with a scone at Barnes and Nobles as my lunch.
It’s been a while since I’ve added content to the blog, so here goes. The jaw is so much better. A massage therapist has been able to work inside my mouth and alliviated the pain two weeks before school started. School is going well. It’s my last year and that is just fine! I’m ready to slow down. We also found out on Friday what my retirement package will be. I was able to figure it out once I had figures from Newton. We will be just fine and are actually living on that amount of money now–and very comfortably.
I’m in the midst of knitting a vest for Ken for Christmas and there are two projects that need to be put together for Christmas. I don’t think that I’m going to be able to finish Sue’s second pair of socks–she’ll get one pair and then the knitting on the needles! Knitting is a constant in my life–and I find that very comfortable.
I worked at the church fair this morning. It was strange and has become much more of a rummage sale than a fair. It was odd when there was a blessing of the fair–it’s everyone’s junk! Years ago, I was so proud of what I had made and strived to contribute something to every booth. Those booths are gone and there is just stuff. The church was stuffed with people–many more than in the “old days”. I guess that everyone is looking for a bargain.
I taking care of Olivia and Kylie this evening. Ken thought that he was going to play tennis early, but it’s a late match,so I will be on my own!
That’s it for this Saturday

I’m home again today because of the TMJ. It seems to be getting better, but very slowly. I feel guilty about my students, but it really needs to get better.


Good morning,
I’m off to the library to research a property that will surely be demolished. It is an old house down near Horn Pond and is of no significance other than it’s old and has a history. I find myself seeing another layer of Woburn when I’m researching a house and the families who lived there. These people are gone and the research is a silent testimony to their existence. I get so excited when I find a family on Ancestry.com—with all the members and their occupations.etc. It makes the house come alive.
Things are pretty busy at the moment. Evidently, I’ve ruffled some feathers at the library. I’m guessing that the head librarian is not comfortable with questions that I ask. I find myself not having any feelings one way or another about her annoyance. The secretary in the Mayor’s office told me about some complaints about me!
And, Kendra is again looking for a condo or house. She called last night to tell me about a condo that is very affordable. She didn’t know that Mother is going to give her money again this year and that she will have a good down payment. She’s very excited. I’ve told her to slow down and enjoy the process. Kendra has slowed down in her search. She realized that she needs to have turned in her tax return first, but she’s pretty happy that it looks like she can buy something.
I’ve spent the day on the computer—reading posts in both spots—244 Spanish and the Web 2.0 course. I’ve also done the shopping and spent the morning researching 67 Water St. It turns out that the owner of Iannacci’s farm—down the street from us—owned the house and had a dairy farm there. It was also the home of the first naturalized voter in Woburn. But—I’m almost certain that there is not enough to allow a demo delay—so sad. Darlene is going to take photos and we will be documenting the house in our book of lost houses.
Ken has tennis this evening and I think that I will stay home rather than go see Olivia. I’m a little tired and I think that i may be fighting a cold.

It was quite a day. I had the special opportunity of watching the inauguration with about 1000 students in the NNHS auditorium. Their attention did not falter as the events unfolded. And when people were asked to stand for the oath of office for Joe Biden—they also rose to their feet. I was teary at times, but very glad to be sharing such an historic event with so many young people. They do not realize just how special today was. We have not had a president like this since Kennedy—inspiring, articulate and a leader for all.
Well, it’s been a lovely day. I took the puppies to have their nails clipped this morning. And then I shovelled more snow—yet more fell last night. I also helped the neighbor to the right shovel and salt the driveway. Then I’ve spent the rest of the day working on lesson plans—creating a wiki for 253 and working on the wiki for 244. I also found readings for 242 and 244. I hope that 253 might benefit from a wiki approach to a composition!
Tonight I have choral rehearsal. I have to go pick up fosomax and some wine. We’ve gotten into the habit of drinking wine before and with dinner. An somewhat expensive habit-but enjoyable.
I also want to begin some mittens that I’ve had the yarn for for a while. I need the mittens now—it’s too cold for the leather gloves that I’ve been wearing.

Well, this is going to be an experiment. Today it’s snowing and all activities were cancelled—which created a lovely empty day to mess around on the computer! So, here’s one experiment. The other was setting up Wiki’s for my 244 course. Well, it appears that I have this set up—sort of. I’d like to have a name other than my own at the top and I’d like to figure out how to change the subtitle—we’ll see. Cookies are baking and the bread has been made-but the lesson plans have not been done!–yet!











No comments:

Post a Comment